Thursday 24 June 2021

June BaM

My June bivvy is generally linked to Midsummer and a desire to ride until last light, or at least see the sunset from a suitably scenic venue. As usual I'd various plans for this weekend but a shocker of a forecast for the Sunday lead to a re-think. I've had enough rain for one Spring and feel no need to experience any more! Anyway the Friday evening / Saturday morning looked like it was going to be well sunny so I quickly threw bivvy gear on the fatbike and left the house at about 5.30. It was hot and sunny at first but a cool breeze was blowing which made things pretty nigh on perfect cycling weather. Better still the trails were dust dry, despite the rain earlier in the week. After the arduousness of my April and May bivvies I was not in the mood for anything too drastic so had a leisurely pedal Ochill-wards, once again. And the fatbike? It's got gears and as per my post Cairngorms Loop bivvy last year, I was after an easy time. I'd just re-fitted the Jumbo Jims so it fairly flew along.

As usual I had no firm plans but followed an oft used route to above Dollar and the long strath (for the lowlands) that is Glen Quey. On a whim I turned up the same climb I'd pushed up for my March bivvy but thanks to the extreme lowness of my granny gear pedaled quite a lot of the climb, despite carrying beer as well as gas stove and food for tea. I could have gone for my woodland hideaway further east, also as per March, but I'd a suspicion that the midges might be about. Plus I wanted a north facing slope to pitch up on, in order to maximise sunset views.

Good call. I eventually topped out on the ridge between Whitewisp hill and Innerdownie  (550m). Just ahead was a narrow belt of trees, many blown over, which I'd skied round in January and noted there was a level area behind them, possibly ideal for a bivvy. And it was. There were a few areas with short grass, just sheltered enough to shield me from the worst of the breeze, but hopefully leaving enough to keep the midges at bay. Better yet the view north was perfect, nicely framed behind a lower belt of trees, many also fallen.

Flat tarp and bivvy bag and finally just my quilt! Probably the last time I'll be in the bivvy bag for a few months as the midges are here...

Looking up to Tarmangie Hill and my lonely sitka spruce tree that I'd kipped under in January 2020. I then sat out making tea and drinking the beers I'd humped up with me. Of course the breeze kept dropping and the midges were indeed around but I managed to avoid running around like a mad thing to avoid them, despite forgetting to bring a head net or smidge. In fact the breeze increased as the evening progressed so soon enough I was midge free.

Looking north to the Perthshire and Stirlingshire hills. It made a fine change from previous bivvies this year, in that I had time to appreciate the view, sitting out in the sun. You'd almost think it was nearly summer! Eventually it got cool enough for me to retire to my bag. I also noted cloud scudding overhead. A look behind the trees indicated a sea harr was blowing overland and up the hills. Below all was white but I could still see north to the sun.

I finished up with some fine whisky whilst reading, turning in at 11.30. The cloud obscured any sunset in the event but I was well happy that I'd had as pleasant an evening out as any in the last year and a half.

As usual, the dawn chorus woke me at 4. It was also drizzling which was somewhat at odds with the forecast (old news...) and mist covered everything. I quickly re-arranged myself and kit under the tarp, it having gotten somewhat strewn about, thanks to me not bothering to stow stuff properly given the expected dry night; then crashed out once more. I woke to more of the same and was somewhat shocked to see it was after 9. I do seem to sleep well in my bivvies these days. I had breakfast and a couple of coffees and lazed about in the hope that the mist would lift. Eventually, at a truly decedent 11am, I got packed up and going. The cloud did start to break a bit and views opened up as I descended off Whitewisp hill.

Quite useful things gears. I keep forgetting to use them however and was constantly riding up hills in what ever gear I was in on the approach. I'm officially a die hard singlespeeder...

Anyway I trundled down the steep descent noting there was a lot of very large clouds around. Sure enough on the final run back to the house the rain came on and I was quite damp by the time I got home. Rain in warm temps is a novelty for this year however! Of course the Sunday rain never came and I could have had a dry night closer to the equinox but I was pleased to get this one in, doing some easy but fun riding and relaxing after a fraught week. I spent the Sunday tramping around the same area and spying out a few more camp spots for future months. Next month I'm hoping to be out and about somewhere so hopefully I'll have a more interesting tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment