Wednesday 20 July 2022

July BAM

Despite having done two bivvies last week, I figured on another trip for my official July BAM. I was wanting to get away for 3 days or so, so packed accordingly and went with the Deschutes and mesh inner to avoid any chance of the fannying around I've had with the flat tarp in recent weeks. The route was a usual one - west to Callander via various back roads, cycleways and the odd trail, all in the blazing heat of the sun - 30 degrees! (again)

Missed selfie on the cycleway north of Strathyre

A gnawed down tree - yes the beavers have arrived on NCN7 just past Balquidder Station. They (as in SNH/ Nature Scot) seem to be trying to keep this quiet but its bloody obvious what is going on. The burn has been dammed which was flooding the path at one point but someone (the beaver?) has shoved a bit of pipe in to keep the level below the path.



Killin Co-op has moved and is now much bigger, which gave me a shock when I first arrived and found the familiar building closed up. That said it looked like a plague of locusts had descended on it as there was slim pickings on the deli / sandwich / salad aisle. I grabbed what I could and sat outside in the breeze to eat. Then it was off up Glen Lochay and what is now a familiar climb up the pubil road and down through the monster potholes to Loch Lyon Dam. So far it had been breezy which kept things very cool, even on the bigger climbs. But as is usual in the evening, the wind was dropping. I did eye up a few spots over the pass for another exposed spot but having been nearly blown away twice now doing this I was after somewhere a bit more sheltered. It was now nearly 9 so I nosed along the track alongside Loch Lyon as I suspected there would be a good spot to bivvy by an old boat shed, which I'd noted when passing through last year. There was a nice level grassy area but being sheltered, inevitably the midges were about. I kept on as the loch showed signs of a reasonable breeze still. Soon enough I came upon a spot right by the track which was indeed breezy. Up with the tarp and in sharpish as some cunning midges were sheltering under it from the wind.



I read for a while until darkness fell and then turned in. Annoyingly, despite all being peace and tranquility and the heat of the day receded to a cool 15 degrees I could not get to sleep. I don't know what's the matter with me this year as I've really struggled to get a decent sleep, even when the wind and rain hasn't been threatening to blow me away. Partly I think it was down to being somewhat sticky thanks to much sweat and suntan cream. I could have taken a dip in the loch but I'd have been savaged by the midges. Oddly a rain shower came through necessitating shutting the doors which didn't help with either the cooling breeze or my body odour....

I dropped off eventually but was woken at 7.30 by the sun. I packed up sharpish as the midges were still around, despite the breeze. Then off down the long road to Bridge of Balgie and the cafe.

Cheeky sparrow after my breakfast

I was also entertained by the resident swallows flying in and out of the covered seating area. 

Now I was feeling a bit sick which I was blaming on my first breakfast as I'd scoffed a couple of mini pork pies I'd carried with me the previous day. I figured they contained enough salt to keep them fresh but I suspect this was not the case. This and the building heat made a traverse of the Lairig Gallabaich and the old road to the isles a somewhat dubious prospect. My poor nights sleep didn't help and for once my motivation for another day and night out flowed away. So off down the glen and pick up NCN 7/77 to Dunkeld. It's still a nice route to be honest and I was happy enough twiddling along in the sun. Looking behind showed some monster black clouds and they caught up with me just by Strathtay - not quite the deluge I was fearing but some big drops falling on and off over half an hour. You could almost hear the hiss as the rain hit the tarmac! This cooled me somewhat but the heat was building as I dropped height. Dunkeld Co-op supplied more drink and some food (as well as the loo.) I felt better after that but the heat really started to get to me on the last 40 miles and up the last climb up the now familiar Dunning Glen road so by the time I got home I was beat.

Phew - so much for heat warnings but it had required some attention to deal with it. At one point I'd stopped in some woods for a pee and the heat in them was oppressive. This caused sweat to appear from every pore but when I set off again, the breeze of my passage (so to speak) cooled the sweat instantly and cooled me considerably. So I took to doing this a few times along the way. Today the weather is still lovely and a chunk cooler so it's a pity I didn't crack on. Having ID'd the potential of the route north via the Gallabaich and the Old Road to the isles a few years ago, long before it became part of numerous bikepacking routes, I've yet to do it in one go. I thought it would be this time but sadly not. No doubt the rain and wind will be my challenge on the next attempt and this mini heat wave will soon be forgotten. Next holiday is likely to be in September so that will be my next chance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment