Saturday 26 November 2022

November BAM

November done and it was soggy...

Slashing rain just as it got dark wasn't particularly conducive to going out but it was now or never. Anyway by the time I left it had dried up and stars were showing. Second consecutive Friday night bivvy and it is a great way to end the week. As soon as I got pedaling the stresses of the week disappeared and weather concerns were forgotten. The dryness didn't last of course and an incessant drizzle cut in after a half hour of damp roads and trails. Having ignored such rain a few times in recent months, and gotten very wet as a result, I didn't muck about - into waterproofs and carry on. I'd nothing fancy planned, location wise, as my back is giving me gyp thanks to an ill-advised log lift a couple of weeks ago... I'd scoped a couple of spots in Glendevon woods a few weeks ago so one of these would do. Of course in the dark it all looked different and the wind seemed to be on the increase. But I managed to find a good spot next to a little used trail. The rain went off for the pitch so I was in and snug soon enough. 

As it happens I was close to my February spot and also had the Deschutes and soto blast furnace. I'd nearly reduced the deschutes to a melted crisp packet that time so was a mite more careful this time. I'd made a bit more effort tea wise as I'm fed up of freeze dried stuff. That said it was still pre processed stuff - boil in the bag lentil stew, rice and smoked sausage (as usual) garnished with cheese. Haute cuisine? you can stuff it. For desert I drank beer whilst the wind blew a constant spray of water at me from the trees, much like my February bivvy. This persisted all night but didn't prevent a sound sleep.

It's daylight, honest...

And raining. I sploshed my way through a few trails round the woods but in view of the weather, my back, and a need to do stuff at the house I made a reasonable bee-line home.

Only December left, hopefully in the company of the SWB crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment