One of my daft ideas for this year, conceivied in a dark and dingy January, was to give a hammock a go. I've thought of doing this a few times over the years but just never quite got round to it, compounded by my ultra minimialist and highly functional normal ground camping set up functioning perfectly well in a range of circumstances.
Then things changed as per previous posts and I figured it would be a waste of time. Then I had time on my hands so why not. A lengthy thread on the BB forum resulted and after a further bout of procrastination, I figured "just get on with it." Of note are DD Hammocks, a UK firm making well regarded set ups in the UK. I've had two small tarps from them which have been great so it was an obvious choice. Plus their ultralight hammock / mozzie net / tarp package seemed good value. I'd been keeping an eye out for SH ones but nothing came up. Slightly annoyingly, the package I got came with a the small tarp which I already had. So not as good value as I'd thought this is too small other than for light (and vertical) rain. More cash went on a bigger tarp which would at least have other uses if I didn't get on with the hammock.
Being somewhat limted on bike rides, I ventured out to Devilla forest a few times using a couple of trees near to the spot I've done a few bivvies in.
Hammock only - pretty much spot on first go and surprisingly comfy. It came with fancy adjustable cords and slings which made set up easy.With small tarp - OK in a pinch but better if it was bigger.
Further procrastination followed and a few missed dry nights as my issues ebbed and flowed. Finally, last weekend, I ran out of excuses. "Jut get on with it!"
So, my first night in a hammock. The forecast was set fair and I actually got quite excited. A hectic week set the stage and after tea, I pedalled out to the same spot as I'd been practicing in so fairly close to home and easy to retreat from. The ride out was most pleasant, still on dry trails and in warm sunshine. Set up was a bit of a faff as I'd not tried using the cumulus 150 quilt as an under blanket before (a key part of staying warm in a hammock) and it took a bit of finessing to get it sitting right. By which time dusk was falling so I laid back in splendour with a couple of beers, whilst listening to various birds.
Tah dah!
Sleep was pretty good but after being awoken by the dawn chorus (bloody noisy geese and buzzards!) I dozed for a while before getting up. I had a quick cuppa then threw everything back on the bike and rode home on more dry trails. The weather is on the change so looks like another sunny spell has come to an end, and in fact this may be the end of summer, weather wise.
On a ride the next day - Castlehill Res looking a bit low, not for much longer!
Whether I get out again this year depends on how recovery from a further opp in a weeks time goes. But it would be nice to get out for the remaining 4 months - 7/12 wouldn't be bad!





No comments:
Post a Comment