Monday 28 December 2020

BAM 2020 Washup

Fair to say that when I snuggled into my winter bag underneath the lone sitka perched on the flanks of Tarmangie hill back in January, at the start of my 2020 BAM campaign, I'd no idea how the year would pan out. Looking back this was an auspicious start as it was (slightly) wintery, I was bivvy bag only, and yet I had a fine night only slightly spoiled by a non-functioning stove the next day (actually due to lack of petrol, something I have a long history with). I had no expectations of the year and no specific plans about the type of bivvies I wanted to do; as usual I would wing it. I was slightly miffed that I didn't go out on the weekend before lockdown as if I had, I would only have had to do one backyard bivvy. But overall I did pretty well, with only two in the garden and a couple of bivvies requiring a fairly loose interpretation of the 'restrictions.' I've pitched in a range of weather from freezing to scorching, dry to wet. A particular score is getting to grips with using a flat tarp for shelter. I tried it a few years ago but as I was trying to incorporate the bike into the pitch it seemed too much faff. Using a single pole has made it as easy to go up as the Deschutes, much more flexible in marginal sites and only a bit less weather proof. I also seem to have refined my kit and bivvy technique substantially over the year. The culmination of this was on the Cairngorms loop where I had a very minimalist set up but was able to set up a shelter that would protect me from the worst the weather could chuck at me, in double quick time. Nearly all of my bivvies (excepting the BYB's which I made up for) were as part of a proper ride, with only December being an out and back again.


So in terms of my overall 'score':-

Best Spot - Lubvan, Ardvericke. In fact best overall bivvy as I had a nice ride to the spot, spent a few hours relaxing and wandering around and had good food and drink to boot. I also had an ace ride the following day.



Most remote spot:- Camserney woods, Dull, Perthshire. Not that remote, in fact I've not really done a really wild bivvy and my Lubvan pitch is nearly as remote; but this one was probably the most off the beaten track.



Most relaxing bivvy:- May - First time out overnight post lockdown plus I had a full menu including drinks, a nice spot in the middle of a forest and fine weather.

Wildest weather:- Devilla Forest, February. Plenty of rain and overnight winds hit gale force briefly although my sheltered spot kept me well out of it...


Worst bivvy:- all relative but the full on midge event of my bivvy in Drumtochty Forest nearly made it the bivvy from hell. Good admin and kit (i.e. a mozzie net and smidge) meant I just about got away with it.


Best Bothy:- Dunalistair shooting hut. Not an official Bothy per se, as these were all shut; but a nice little shed well away from the usual haunts of bothy baggers.


Coldest and highest Bivvy:- January under the tree at 610m (higher than 2018!) - it went down to about -3 at one point so not that cold all in all.


Best trail ridden to and from a bivvy:- The Cairngorms loop (before it got windy!)


Best Morning View:- Lubvan again!



Best overall view:- ditto on the ride the next day.


Longest ride as part of a bivvy:- The Cairngorms loop (186 miles and 25 hours of riding).



Shortest ride to a bivvy:- round my back garden to BYB 2.



Most adept and faff free pitch:- Forest of Ae, October. It was nearly dark, the rain had let up for a very brief time but I had a good spot and despite more rain later I stayed dry. Flat tarp perfection!




In total I spent 14 nights out which is pretty good given how the year has gone; and only three less than my bumper year in 2018. Not wanting to come over all philosophical but this year really highlighted how incredibly relaxing it is to ride a bike with all your gear on it, pitch a shelter in a quiet and out of the way spot and lay back listening to the night's noises, knowing you are far removed from people, places and modern life. 

I'm in again next year starting with the Bearbones Winter event in a week and a bits time. Thereafter I will be out every month, rain, snow or shine. Whilst the back yard bivvies were a laugh, I've no inclination to do them again and will slip out to one of many local bivvy spots if restrictions remain in place as is likely for a few months at least. One of my other goals after 2018 was to have more social bivvies which wasn't an option for this year. Hopefully a few more with others next year, even if meet ups are accidental.... I'd also like to grab a proper snowy one but we'll see how the winter pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment