Monday 21 December 2020

December BAM

I'd a notion to do this one on the way down to Mum and Dad's for Christmas as per my successful 2018 campaign, but in the event I decided to keep it simple and finish with a local bivvy in Devilla Forest. In fact I was going to head for the spot I'd found back in February. In view of the short distance and the season, I took a half litre of mulled wine, a beer and some whisky to help pass the evening. On arrival at the general location of my pitch I could find no trace of the nice level area I'd found by accident in February. A fair bit of wandering round drew a blank but eventually I found a reasonable enough spot, albeit a bit lumpy. Still I got the deschutes up and into it just before the rain came on. So I had a pleasant evening listening to the wind in the trees, eating, drinking and reading. 




I found a level space between the tussocks so not as bad as it looks.

I woke to a still morning, still dark given that this was the longest night. Various birds regaled me as dawn slowly broke - swans, geese and ducks on the nearby Peppermill reservoir; a couple of barn owls hooting and screeching finally followed by the usual selection of small birdies. As per February, the ever present roar of Grangemouth was a background to all of this but I had a good nights sleep so I'm happy with this as my finale to what has been a very strange year. When I got back I compared GPX tracks and discovered I'd got within about 10 yds of my February pitch...

No comments:

Post a Comment