Sunday 22 August 2021

August BAM

I decided to do a 'proper' bivvy this weekend rather than rely on my snooze in a bag that I did on the YD300. Definitely a ride to bivvy rather than a bivvy for a ride, but I've done a few of each this year so that's alright. The weather forecast was decidedly uninspiring making me think that Saturday evening would be a better bet. However Friday turned out to be dry all day and after a brief sprinkle of rain as I finished in my 'office' it brightened up considerably. I had tea then threw stuff into bags and bags on bike. At 8pm I left into a warm evening. 

My chosen venue was Glendevon forest and a spot I scoped out last year. Except I missed it.... I'd ridden straight out there and you climb steadily up through the woods. It was starting to get dark hence peadling past the turning without realising it. I couldn't be bothered back tracking so kept on, eyeing the woods either side of me but fancying something a bit more open. Near the top of the climb I spied a gap in the trees which lead to a gate out onto the moor. It looked a bit marginal but my expert bivvy spot eye noted a level section big enough for my bod just up from said gate. I got the tarp up with a modicum of fiddling and the rain finally came on as I got under it. It came and went as I had a couple of beers to while away the time whilst watching various insects wandering around.

Amazingly there were no midges, despite it being damp, warm and still. Very odd. Most impressive were the ants who fielded the crumbs from a couple of double biscuits I'd scoffed. One carried a bit much bigger than him / her. Think carrying a lump of shortbread 10' x 4' x 2'.... I Crashed out eventually and had an OK kip apart from a few random gusts blowing drizzle under the tarp. As usual the wind seemed to be in a completely different direction and much stronger than what was on the Beeb. I got a bit concerned for a bit as if the wind got up it would be blowing the rain in onto my shower proof bivvy bag leading to much dampness. I wriggled further under the tarp and all seemed well.

I woke at 8.30 to dreich and mist (again) so had a leisurely breakfast in the hope it would clear before I decamped. Which it did! Well sort of. Rather than head straight back I went for a spin round the woods on various tracks and then over to Dunning where I binned my empties and headed east on the wee road to Forgandenny. Then over the easiest of the Path of Condie 'X' roads and home by my usual back road route. The rain came and went but I finished in the dry and even sunshine. Not long after I got home the heavens opened however and it stayed wet all afternoon and evening so good call on ignoring the forecast and looking at the sky!


Damp...


First time on the Straggler with bags and singlespeed. I'd been thinking of gearing up from the 36/18 I've been using for a while now but its spot on loaded up and I got up all of the climbs with minimum gurning. All being well I'll be out on it for a few days next month round Dumfries and Galloway.

No comments:

Post a Comment