Sunday 21 November 2021

November BAM

This weekend was the last chance for my November bivvy so it was a case of go whatever the weather. In the event it was a surprisingly decent forecast for the weekend with a reasonable chance of a dry ride and bivvy. We keep getting hints of the usual horrible late Autumn weather but then it fairs up again. It was looking like there would finally be a change to colder weather but this is all good as snow in November often seems to precede a decent winter. My chosen destination was the north Fife hills and woods but I had no planned route, I just did my usual trick of making random turns onto random trails. This took me through the woods of Knockhill and Blair Adam and up Benarty hill for the first time in a while.

Fine sunset! In November! and on a bivvy ride!

The single track off the top is a beaut and was surprisingly dry. And great compared to last November when everything was porridge by this time. 2021 has been a very dry year.

Darkness fell round the loch Leven trail but I managed to leave my lights off until I hit the road by Balgeddie. I did think about a Lomonds traverse but settled for an easy run along the dryside road with a stiff tailwind. As it happens I'd come the other way along here the other day on an adventure commute from the office into the teeth of a similar breeze...

More tracks, trail and back roads to Ladybank woods. The trails here were also pretty dry so I took a longer way through to claim a few which was most pleasant without the usual stream of dog walkers. After this it was up in earnest into the eastern Ochills. I'd ruminated on a few spots for a bivvy but a cold nor'westerley was building so I figured somewhere deep into the trees was probably the best option. I discounted Wedersbie hill as the forest is quite open here and my spot of June 2020 exposed to a northerly wind. Instead it was more back road climbing to the eastern end of Pitmedden forest. It was a clear night with a near full moon so this was all good stuff. My spot of March would also be too exposed so I dived into the trees just up the steep bit of the climb. Perfect - level, dry and sheltered.

Up went the tarp and as usual I made food, drank a couple of beers and relaxed in my bivvy with some fine whisky afterwards.

November Insect interlude.... 

After watching ants make off with the crumbs from a double biscuit back in August I was on the look out for more. Plus I've had a few close encounters with ticks this year but so far avoided getting one attached to me for more than a couple of seconds (that was a close shave!) A few times, usually just as I've gotten set up and into the bag, I've looked down to see one ambling across the mat, prompting much screaming and nabbing, before squashing it between fingernails, which is surprisingly hard to do. I was under the quilt reading and looked up only to see one of the little bleeders right above me. However on reaching for it it de-materialised, I kid you not! Can't recall ticks being able to do that so after a bit of searching I returned to my book. Then about an hour later there it is wandering across the screen of my phone as casual as you like. I was quicker this time and grabbed it. Except it wasn't a tick but one of those wee bugs that jump so fast they look like they have de-materialised. It was ejected firmly but politely out of the bag.

As usual I had a very long sleep only waking up in the middle of the night as the wind was now strong. I was sheltered from the worst of it but it was a bit drafty and decidedly chilly (actually 0 degrees.) Thank god I got the extra long quilt as this enabled me to retreat completely under it and zonk out once more. I was pleased that I was nicely cosy under it however. I woke to the dawn but nodded off again and then the next thing it was 9 am! I think I sleep better under the tarp than at home. 


After a typically leisurely morning, which has also been a common theme for my 2021 bivvies, Highland Trail included; I set off into a cool, breezy but bright morning. First priority was water as I'd forgotten my filter. The map showed a cluster of springs in a field just by the woods so after fighting may way down to the edge of the forest, off I went bottle in hand. Hmm looks like there has been cows in here and no sign of any water whatsoever. Eventually I realised that a large area of gorse covered the area where the springs were. A bit of nosing around lead me to a gap in the gorse liberally plastered in cow dung but with a dribble of water flowing through it. I pushed further in beyond where the cows had got to and I was able to fill my bottle from a crystal clear spring bubbling out of the ground. It tasted clean and fresh which is a rarity for lowland water sources which tend to be a bit err.... turbid.....

Looking across the Tay to the hills - actually the Munroes around Glenshee and clearly sporting a fair covering of snow. Winter here we come!

I scored some Pitmedden singletrack, which is very nice being quite rooty but generally well drained with plenty of twists, turns, up and downs. Thence west by various back roads and a new trail - the Wallace Road - above Glen Farg. Easy going but with fine views all around.

Looking north west to the Trossachs.

Then home via various oft used trails and wee roads, 11 down and one to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment