Monday 29 July 2024

July BAM

Actually two bivvies this month, but they were near identical...

I'd hatched a plan to do some exploring of a few trails around Perthshire, all within a reasonable ride from the house, i.e do-able in a weekend. For the most part it would be fairly benign with only a crossing of a large moor between Glen Lednock and Glen Almond offering any significant challenge.

The first attempt took place a couple of weekends ago in the face of a pretty good forecast. I figured on getting going Friday evening to get some of the miles in, bivvying in the woods off the Dunning road, again.

I got there in good time, the sun shining into my spot as it sunk towards the horizon. Of concern were a few midges about but I was able to get pitched up without too much running around and dived straight into the bivvy bag to conclude a slightly less fraught week (rail line open so back to business as usual) with a dram and a beer.

Plenty of sleep followed and a gentle breeze kept the winged menaces at bay as I made a cuppa and contemplated my onward moves. It was a bit overcast and rain was in the forecast but nothing to drastic. 

Nice morning view in any case...

I shared breakfast with this elderly Robin (lots of grey feathers!) who was quite friendly.

They appear to be replacing the blades / hub on this turbine. This windfarm hasn't been up to much - two have gone on fire and there is always at least one out of action....

On packing up, I noted the absence of any form of waterproof jacket in my kit. Given how routine this all is, these days, I was somewhat miffed. And out of options. I couldn't contemplate a ride without it as I had no other layers and I wasn't going to try to buy one en-route as I have enough already!

So much for that then. I did at least manage to do a decent ride on the way home so the trip wasn't all wasted. Later I went for a run on the motorbike around the area I'd hope to get to cycling and only caught one sprinkle of rain in the early evening....


Attempt number 2 took place the following weekend. I'd got the Friday off so in theory could extend the trip. Of course the weather wasn't looking too good Friday or Saturday and it was also looking pretty horrible for the Thursday evening. However on getting home from work, the heavy showers hadn't materialised and still weren't evident after tea. The bike was nearly ready to go so I threw the rest of my gear on it (waterproofs definitely included) and headed out. As expected a lot of large clouds suddenly appeared. A half mile out of the village the roads were awash, and the rain came and went. I nearly threw it at that point but much blue sky following the clouds led me on. And it did indeed clear up, the stiff breeze kept the midges at bay and I had another pleasant evening, this time in the opulent luxury of the Deschutes.

The following morning revealed much cloud and a stiff, cool breeze. Whilst I had all my gear I was lacking motivation somewhat. I figured on grabbing breakfast in Auchterarder where I would review forecasts and route and see what was what. This was via one of the old drove roads that cross the hills, now upgraded to a motorway standard forest road, in view of the whole area being planted. The only cafe open looked a bit upmarket so Co-op breakfast it was, actually sat out in the sun, albeit with an occasional sprinkle of drizzle. 



The forecast fueled my lack of motivation with downpours being predicted for the whole area all afternoon and evening. I think a lot of my problem is that being so close to this area, I can be choosy when I visit it, so schlepping though the rain seemed like a waste of a trip. Saturday and Sunday were looking better so I'd head home and do something on those days. By way of penance I threw in a few fearsome climbs via another old drove road and a couple of long pushes. The rain actually held off until the last half hour, whereupon it did indeed rain heavily on and off for most of the afternoon.

Anyway Saturday ended up being mostly sunny and Sunday a roaster. No overnighter, just a nice ride round various North Fife trails and a good walk.

Very sunny over the Lomonds, for a change



Loch Leven and the Cleish hills, I took this photo to try to capture the kestrel hovering on the right hand side then noted the other hovering thing at the top left! Kes aces it, I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment