Monday 22 June 2020

June BAM

Midsummer. The longest day of the year and the official start of Summer 2020. Given the weather we've had throughout Spring it seems inevitable that we are in for another 'typical' Scottish Summer.... This went through my head as I looked at a final weather forecast prior to starting out on my annual midsummers ride. Saturday looked to be fine but Sunday was going to be wet, starting at the notional dawn of around 3.00am. The plan was to ride until last light, await the dawn and then ride home. Sleep would figure in this plan and as usual, I had numerous bivvy sites in mind.

So 1.30pm saw me head roughly east on a not dissimilar route to my August '19 BAM. That day I'd intended to ride the whole of the Fife Pilgrims route to St. Andrews, bivvy in Tentsmuir forest then ride back. A somewhat damp forecast curtailed this plan and I ended up in the five star bivvy spot at Falkland. That wasn't an option today but I figured I wouldn't need it. Unlike last year, the trails were pretty much dry apart from a few bits thanks to Fridays rain. This led me to depart the Loch Leven trail at Scotlandwell and head straight up the Bishop hill on what is a fierce climb, largely pushed given my single gear. It was roasting going over the Lomonds but the trails were running great. I've not been over here since the beginning of March so it was fab to get re-acquainted. 

The car park at West Lomond was mobbed. I watched a large group of people setting up their barby in the adjacent disused quarry and got out of there sharpish.... As per last year I hit the Pilgrims Way at Balbirnie. It was quiet, dry and I had a stiff tailwind.

Path through the fields. This was stubble last year and hard work. This year the farmer has left a margin and the path is a smooth and firm line.



My fairly TLS load out and the Lomonds behind

Pedaling up through Kennoway revealed much traffic. So much for any idea that peoples travel habits would change once restrictions on movement were eased. People seem to have rushed back to their cars as soon as they were able. Beyond here the route is great as previously reported. It was now early evening and I had the place to myself, Likewise the next few sections to Ceres. Sunshine, smooth, easy trails through pleasant farmland, views to the hills to the north; all added up to a fab ride, all cares forgotten. I rode straight through Ceres and continued east on what was now new ground. More of the above in the event, then a stiff climb up to Kinninmonth farm where I left the Pilgrims route to head north to the coastal path. 


North Fife farmland



Riding through Guardbridge I could smell the chippy and was sorely tempted to stop. I did have all my food with me however so stuck to my guns, and route. Tea was needed though given the plan to keep riding until last light and it was now after 7. Entering Tentsmuir forest I was therefore on the lookout for a quiet spot to have food. A vague line to my right took me to a sunny clearing with enough breeze to keep the midges away. Food was heated and eaten, including a much needed cuppa. As it happened I wasn't alone, a load of mosquitoes decided to join me. I'm never quite sure where and when you get mozzies and I've not encountered them very often. I guess the mild winter and the current damp but warm conditions around me was their ideal breeding ground. Oh well, live and let live. (When I got home I discovered I'd been thoroughly savaged by the little swines!)

Fed and rested off I went through the forest edge, past the spot where I'd bivvied in Midsummer 2017. There were still no parking and road closed signs everywhere but I suspect this will change soon and Tentsmuir, like the other forests, will become mobbed once more. From Morton Loch Nature Reserve I hit the tarmac and started my return west. There is a few options off road along here, including the Coastal Path. But this is a bit faffy with lots of gates; and the other options needed to be scoped when it wasn't after 8pm and I was 50 miles from home. 

I rejoined the FCP near Brunton and started looking for bivvy spots as the miles were taking their toll. That said I made it up the climb past Normans Law without too much effort (or pushing) and started checking out the woods. Hmm, someone seems to have established a permanent camp up here with a campervan, awning, various huts and teepees. No way was I stopping here as they would inevitably have a heard of rabid mutts about the place so instead I hared down the long descent to Glenduckie. Its odd that such an encampment is tolerated by the landowner (who would typically have them firmly evicted) or the locals. It does seem an odd place though - a real land that time forgot. The weirdness continued approaching the tiny community of Glenduckie when I passed a group of teenage girls glammed up to the nines, wandering through the farmyard.....

I lifted water out of a burn just past Dunbog. I've taken to carrying my filter on these trips as good water is hard to come by, unlike the Highlands, and the filter means you can pretty much drink anything. I'd already filled up at Clatto res but the heat made me want to keep topped up. Finally I was on the last climb up to Weddersbie hill. I knew I'd get a bivvy spot in the woods here and as it was now 10.30 I was done. Sure enough I found a nice sheltered spot by an old wall in amongst some broom, got the tarp up and flaked out after 9 hours and 82 miles. I lay in splendour sipping whisky and eating chocolate whilst looking at the thickening cloud through the tree branches. The sunset had been fairly red so maybe the forecast rain wouldn't appear.

3am and I woke to the unwelcome sound of rain on the tarp. So much for welcoming the sun. It was just starting to get light but I rolled over and crashed out once more. Then at 5 I was woken by my bladder. The rain was heavy and the wind quite strong in the trees above me. By the time I'd got my gear on, done what had to be done and got back into my bag, I was wide awake. I guess I could have got back to sleep eventually but I figured there was little point. Home, a hot shower and breakfast was 2 hours or so away. I had a quick cuppa, packed up and headed out into the rain. 


Hello Summer....


Another good flat tarp pitch

It lasted through Pitmedden forest but by the time I got home the sky was clearing. Total distance was 112 miles in about 10 and a half hours of riding, the longest I've done on the single speed. All being well there is a chance I will be able to head north next month. I'm not holding my breath given how the Scottish Government is playing the 'who can keep the restrictions in the longest' game but if I can, I've got a few trip ideas, including a monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment