Monday 1 June 2020

May BAM

This one seems to have been a long time in coming after my back garden bivvys of March and April. I'd deliberately hung off until the end of the month on the basis that a reduction in restrictions were imminent and un-restricted exercise was now officially permitted. So it proved and better yet, the weather forecast for the whole weekend was looking stunning.

I'd also actually taken the Friday off and had planned a longish day ride to celebrate our new found freedoms. I did resist going to visit my parents in Durham however..... 
This ride turned into a disaster / opportunity to test ones ingenuity in bodged repairs. I'd gone about 40 miles when a once per wheel rev ticking noise became a thump. On inspection a large bulge on the tyre, about an inch across, was the culprit and it was growing as I looked. A quick grab for the valve and I saved the tyre from blowing out, but now what to do? Fortunately I had my full tyre first aid kit with me, so I set too. For some reason the carcass was de-laminating with threads exposed over several sections. Everything I had with me had to be used to hold the tyre together - thank goodness for superglue! In went a tube and I inflated it to about 30psi. No bulges but the ride home was a bit wobbly as the tyre hadn't seated properly at this low pressure. It made it home however the tyre boots had nibbled holes in both my spare tubes by the time I got back to the house.

So Saturday I was feeling a bit apprehensive about disappearing into the wilds again and made sure I had selection of tyre bodging stuff as well as my usual repair kit and tools. Funnily enough I've had a run of punctures over the last couple of months, despite not riding anywhere drastic, so hopefully the above would draw a line under this period. I loaded up the Jones, aware that there was no chance of rain, it was going to be a scorcher but could be cool at night. Full self sufficiency was the order of the day so in went a boil in the bag meal and other food and after some stove deliberation I went with the Soto. Its heavy and bulky but meths burners don't do simmering and I was out of gas.

Ready for the off, fairly TLS despite the food load.

My route took me roughly east into a stiff breeze which was a relief after the roaster that Friday had been. I traced various trails and back roads towards the Lomonds, only encountering others on the Loch Leven trail. I've avoided this popular path recently but felt it would be quiet at this late part of the day. Yes and no. The small beach at the east end was busy and I met a few groups walking either side of this but as the car parks are all shut, the rest of it was quite apart from an occasional bike. Falkland to Collessie was done on a couple of easy trails and some fine woodland single track before I climbed into the eastern Ochills above Newburgh. This is a route I've done many times and it largely follows the crest of the ridge west.

Howe of Fife - a large flat area of rich farmland.

Looking south to the Lomonds from Pitmedden forest.

It was just after 7 as I left Pitmedden and followed various back roads to Glenfarg before climbing back up into the hills above Milnathort. There are definitely options for a more off road route through here but now is not the time to go trail blazing! I'd been thinking of various bivvy spots but it eventually occurred to me that I'd been following a similar route to my 2018 February BAM. Then I'd found a snug spot in the woods just off the road over to Path of Condie and I figured a repeat visit would be the easiest option tonight. I was starting to feel a bit weary, the wind was quite strong so a sheltered site well off the beaten track was in order.


Pitch up shot. I needn't have bothered with the tarp given the forecast but I'd noticed a haar forming out by the coast and if it spread inland things could get damp. Plus I wanted the practice putting it up.

So I was able to sit in the open making and eating food whilst listening to the woodland sounds around me. After the bizzareness of the last two months this was like a major pressure relief valve for all the stresses, worries and uncertainties. Eventually I turned in for a read before dropping off. I woke later on and lay away listening to a couple of owls calling to each other, then woke again to the glorious dawn chorus. Finally at 8.30 I got up, had breakfast, packed up and left.

My route home continued west along a wooded ridge before descending to Dunning Glen. I paid a brief visit to Glendevon woods to pick up a couple of bits of single track, then cut across to Glendevon itself. 


Looking west up onto the main Ochills. My onward route is the wooded hill to the left. So one more climb over Commonedge and Seamab hill before my usual back road and trail route home. The icing on the cake was meeting up with friends who live just outside the village. We had a lengthy chat and cuppa sat outside in the baking sunshine.

So. Second ride on the SS Jones with bags which went well. My plan is to do a couple of spare bivvies over the next two months to make up for the two I missed in March and April. They will all be fairly local I suspect but I've got plenty of sites to choose from so no worries with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment