Sunday 26 May 2024

A Ride North

A mate who I'd not seen for a while was throwing a do at his Highland Estate (500 acres) this weekend. Originally I was just going to go up on a motorbike but in view of my somewhat low mileage this month, thanks to a weekend off the bike due to music things happening, I figured on pedaling up. The weather forecast was less than inspiring for the Friday at least which was monumentally frustrating as my music weekend involved lots of sitting on coaches and in concert halls whilst the sun split the sky. 

However, the forecasted damp day on Friday wasn't and the weather radar on the Beeb seemed to suggest an improving picture throughout the evening. I confidently predicted a deluge to start when I left, however in actual fact the sun came out, Briefly. Of course cresting the first hill out of the village I viewed a large cloud slowly progressing west along the line of the Ochills and looking north revealed many more. But to the east it was much brighter so I cracked on. I had thought of going up the A9 route but I was aiming for a tin shed I'd previously used, which meant the hillier route via Aberfeldy and Loch Rannoch.

There then followed a very nice bike ride - the joy of riding until last light on an overnighter. The route is nice but not adventurous - all on road and many A roads at that. But they were largely devoid of traffic and it made for extremely pleasant riding through fine Perthshire scenery. I also managed to miss some very large clouds. Every climb revealed more cloud but other than a few sprinkles I remained dry. I was passed by three lads on 125's going  up the Sma Glen, something you rarely see these days. When I was that age there were 100's and 125's everywhere. They were stopped at the picnic area so I actually rode over to have a brief chat and reminisce - they probably thought I was a silly old fart!

Descending down to Aberfeldy revealed a wall of black cloud to the west and North. It was slowly moving away from me but I figured I would ride right into it at my current pace. The Co-op provided food and a beer for later and I guess if I'd hung on for half an hour it would have dried up but I pushed on as I wanted to reach my digs before dark O'clock. I did almost run into the back of the rain but, apart from some drizzle, missed the lot - the roads were awash!

I hoofed it up the climb out of Coshieville and it brightened up as the light was fading, on the descent to Loch Rannoch. Climbing the last hill, I ended up taking my jacket off again and I even thought of bivvying. But everywhere was extremely damp after the rain, and whilst the midge forecast was saying it would only be level 1 up here it looked like a perfect midge night. Eventually I got to the turn off to my favourite tin hut just as it got dark and as expected no-one else was in residence.


Small but perfectly formed and a godsend at the end of a longish ride. I had a pleasant hour or so drinking, eating and reading, reflecting on a fab evening - 100k in five and a half hours -  before turning in. 

I was up fairly sharp as I had the same again to do that day. It was still quite grey as I hoofed it up the climb out of Trinafore and over to the A9. 


Cloud over the Gaik pass and Large pylons - the controversial Beauly-Denny power line. Some amount of fuss was made when this was going in but in fact the expected 'giant' pylons ended up as these things which also replaced two sets of small pylons along the same line.

Then it was up the cycle route to Kingussie.

The old road sections were getting a bit rough when I was coming down here a couple of years ago but this bit has been re-surfaced - 7.5m wide, all for bikes! So the whole route is now tarmac and a pretty good route all in all. The A9 is ever present but you are away from it for the most part.

The weather brightened as the morning progressed, I had a fine breakfast at the cafe in Dalwhinnie and called into Bothy bikes in Kingussie to have a chat with Dave. The sun came out as I left, at last, and I did a fine few miles on the Speyside way (hero gravel) before trundling up the back road to Aviemore. I was a bit early for the do so sat in the sun at the Bridge Inn having a couple of pints. Then off along the Dalfaber to Boat of Garten Cycleway - another one of my creations - followed by food and coffee in the sun outside the shop. I got to my friends place at 2 and much social pleasantness followed.


My mate gave us a tour of his property in a rather fine tracked truck. We also put in a couple of owl boxes on poles so a very active weekend.

Total distance 210k so my May mileage is looking a bit more like it. Mega negative karma today though as I got a lift home with a mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment